Open Call for 2017 New Vendors
It’s tasting time for Smorgasburg 2017!
As we prepare for next year’s outdoor season—opening weekend is April 1+2, 2017!—winter is the time when we meet and review new applicants here at Smorg HQ. A fun and filling task for sure.
Startups and seasoned chefs alike all begin by applying online. From that pool, we invite around 100 applicants to visit our office in Crown Heights from December to March. At these face-to-face tastings, we give the food a try and ask each other some questions. Smorgasburg and the Flea are known for their high-quality vendors, so screening/tasting is an integral part of the process, which every vendor famous or brand-new has gone through. (Note: Coming in for a tasting does not mean you’ve been accepted to sell at the markets.)
We accept new vendors throughout the season, but the majority enter over the winter. Those who wish to start with the seasonal launch in April should apply now.
We’re also currently accepting applications for new food vendors at Smorgasburg LA. The weekly Sunday market in Downtown Los Angeles is open year-round, and we’re looking for vendors to join us after the holidays. To apply for Smorgasburg LA, click here.
A few tips:
- Research what foods and products are already available at the markets, as we rarely accept multiple vendors in the same category.
- In the application “Description” section, be as specific as possible about what items you intend to sell. A strong photo of each item is also helpful.
- Making delicious food is a baseline—presentation and professionalism are just as important.
- We like total newcomers just as much as established entities.
- If accepted, before selling to the public you’ll need a Temporary Food Service Establishment Permit and Food Protection Certificate from the NYC Health Department, insurance, and any relevant Fire Department permits. You do not need these permits in order to apply.
- Competition for spots is very high, and we cannot respond to every application. We wish we could, but there just isn’t enough time!
Good luck! We look forward to seeing your application.